Statement of Faith
The Four Most Important Things We Could Ever Tell
Listen to this week's message!
Map to the Church
Enhance your daily reading of God's word. Click here for free, printable Bible Reading and Prayer Journal sheets!
AM Bible Study Archives
"God Is Able - To Him Be the Glory!"
Wednesday Evening Home Bible Study
May 25, 2005
In Romans 1:1-5 we see the main themes of the gospel presented to us:
- that salvation is a work of God's grace.
- that this salvation was promised long ago in the Old Testament, but was
now being revealed.
- that the proclamation of it concerns the Person and work of Jesus
- that God entrusted this message to preachers mandated to proclaim it to
- that it demands a response of obedient faith from all who hear it.
Romans 16:25-27 repeats many of these same themes. In these closing words,
he re-affirms these great gospel themes.
I. THE POWER OF THE GOSPEL: God who alone is able to save and establish (v.
A. We cannot save ourselves because of our deadness in sins (Eph. 2:1-3).
B. We are utterly dependent upon God's grace for salvation (Eph. 2:4-10).
II. THE MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL: Christ crucified and risen (vv. 25-26).
A. God establishes people according to Paul's gospel. It was not a message
he created, but was given (Gal. 1:11-12).
B. The gospel Paul preached was a "mystery" revealed. Mystery here means
the eternal plan of God which was hidden from man in the past (1 Cor.
2:7-10), but revealed by God in the present (Col. 1:25-27).
C. The revealing of it is not enough. It must also be made known. (Greek
allows for the translatio "but now made manifest, EVEN by . . ."; that is,
referring to the instrument and cause) It is made known:
1. by the prophetic scriptures (John 5:39; Luke 24:25-27; Acts 26:23).
2. according to God's command (Acts 9:15; 1 Cor. 9:16).
III. THE GOAL OF THE GOSPEL: The nations brought to obedience to the faith
A. It's a message for all nations (Luke 2:10).
B. It is to result in obedience to the faith on the part of those who hear
IV. THE OUTCOME OF THE GOSPEL: The glory of God (v. 27; see also Romans